Mughal-e-Azam is one of the cinematic masterpiece in Indian History. The film is every bit a classic today as it was 60 years before it came out. From Love, Defiance, Rebellion to tragedy, Mughal-e-Azam has it all. K Asif’s Magnum opus is as grand as it gets which is why it still remains as captivating as ever. The unforgettable performances by Prithviraj Kapoor, Madhubala, and Dilip Kumar made you root for Akbar, Anarkali, and Salim every step of the way.
Making and Background
The story goes back to 1945 while the Quit India Movement was at its peak. K Asif literally poured his heart and soul into the film. Only ever directing two films in his entire career, Mughal-e-Azam made him a legend. The film was completed in 500 days and used over 1 million negatives.
No costs were spared in making this extravaganza what it is today. The Sheesh Mahal set on which “Pyaar Kiya Toh Darna kya” was filmed cost 15 lakh with glasses imported from Belgium. A 100 dancers were used in the song “Ae Mohabbat Zindabad”.
The music by Naushad and lyrics by Shakeel Badayuni is still a bit of fresh and hard-hitting. The dialogues are nothing short of legendary and despite so much flare and drama, the sheer grandeur is enough to make you want to revisit the golden days of Indian cinema history.
Everything about Mugal-e-Azam screamed epic and legendary. On its 60th anniversary, we take a trip down memory lane to reminisce some of our favorite dialogues from the film.
11 Most Iconic Dialogues from Mughal-e-Azam
1. Main tumhari aankhon mein apni mohabbat ka ikraar dekh na chahta hoon
2. Taqdeerein badal jaati hain, zamana badal jaata hai, mulkon ki tareekh badal jaati hai, Shahenshah badal jaate hain.. Magar is badalti hui duniya mein mohabbat jis insaan ka daaman thaam leti hai.. Woh insaan nahi badalta
3. Mera dil bhi aapka koi Hindustan nahi.. Jis par aap hukumat kare
4. Mohabbat jo darrti ho woh mohabbat nahi.. Ayyashi hai, gunaah hai
5. Mohabbat humne maana zindagi barbad kar deti hai.. Ye kya kam hai ki marr jaane pe duniya yaad karti hai
6. Phool toh murjha jaate hain.. Lekin kaante daaman thaam lete hain
7. Salim tujhe marrne nahi dega.. Aur hum Anarkali tujhe jeene nahi denge
8. Kaaton ko murjhane ka khauf nahi hota
9. Meri aankhon se mere khwab na cheeeniye Shehzade.. main marr jaungi
10. Hamara Hindustan koi tumhara dil nahi.. Ki laundi jiski Malika bane
11. Mohabbat karne walon ka bas itna hi hai afsaana.. Tadapna chupke chupke, aah bharna, ghutke marr jana
Fact: Mughal-e-Azam was the first black and white Hindi movie that was digitally coloured and re-released in theatres.
With dialogues and screenplay as such, Mughal-e-Azam to date remains the eternal romance between two star crossed lovers. The movie will make you dream and stay with you long after you are done. It connects What is amazing is its relevance. Even 60 years after its release it is the perfect tale for people who fought against all odds to unite with their lovers, only for fate to pull them apart. No matter how tough you are, Madhubala and Dilip Kumar’s terrific performances will surely bring a tear in the film’s climax.
For More Entertainment Update, Stay tuned to Madam 360.