Despite the social media outrage and call to boycott, the Ministry of Education on Friday decided not to postpone the JEE NEET exams.
In a press statement, the National Testing Agency (NTA), which conducts these exams, said: “… the examination is going to be held with due precaution and it is not going to be postponed.”
JEE-Main is scheduled to be held from 1-6 September, while NEET is scheduled for 13 September. There has been a huge outcry amongst student bodies for conducting the JEE NEET exams while the COVID-19 cases in India are on a constant rise. It was earlier reported that the exams could be postponed and the final ruling would be made after August 25. However, the Ministry of Education unanimously decided to go through with the exams which have already been postponed twice.
Quoting the judgment of the Supreme Court that said life will have to go on despite COVID-19, the National Testing Agency said: “We find that there is absolutely no justification in the prayer made for postponement of the examination in question relating to NEET UG-2020 as well as JEE (Main) April 2020. In our opinion, though there is a pandemic situation, ultimately life has to go and the career of the students cannot be put on peril for long and a full academic year cannot be wasted,” according to the statement.
Students can choose their preferred centers
The National Testing Agency has also reiterated that 99.07 percent of JEE-Main aspirants will be offered their preferred choice of exam centers, while the same will be applied to 99.87 percent of NEET candidates.
“The NTA has also prepared a comprehensive advisory regarding Covid-19 for all functionaries for the (exam) center management,” it added.
The Agency had earlier assured the Supreme Court that it will adhere to all safety guidelines during the JEE NEET exams.
For More News Updates, Stay tuned to Madam 360